The French School of Lagos was founded in 1958 by the Association Française du Nigeria (AFN). Before the current school was built in 1987 with the help of the French Ministry of the Foreign Affairs, it has moved to several places, in Ikoyi, and in Victoria Island.
Through an agreement signed in 1991 with the new AEFE (Agence pour l’Enseignement Français à l’Etranger), which is an agency of the French Ministry of the Foreign Affairs, the school is now linked with the French Authorities which give it a financial support to run.
In 1997, the French School officially became the “Lycee Français”. Extensions of the current building have been done in 1998 and in 2004.The Lycee Francais of Lagos is one of the 494 school establishments depending on the AEFE in the world.